Customer Helpline (UK) : 01436 820269

You currently have no items in your basket

Buy with confidence and security!
Publishing historical art since 1985


Classified Ads Terms and Conditions Shipping Info Contact Details

Full Chris Collingwood Print List
Product Search         
Easy Company - The Taking of Carentan by Chris Collingwood. (B) -

Massive savings on this month's big offers including our BUY ONE GET ONE HALF PRICE offer on many prints and many others at HALF PRICE or with FREE PRINTS!
Many of our offers end in 12 hours, 23 minutes!

Easy Company - The Taking of Carentan by Chris Collingwood. (B)

Easy Company - The Taking of Carentan by Chris Collingwood. (B)

You have a rendezvous with destiny! - promised Major Gen William Lee to his men as the 101st Airborne Division was activated at Camp Claiborne, Louisiana, 15 August 1942. And the first place they kept that rendezvous was Normandy. At precisely 23.00 hours on the night of 5th June 1944, aircraft containing the men of Easy Company, 506th Parachute Regiment, 101st Airborne Division, thundered down the runway at Upottery Airfield. Lifting off into the night, the hazardous mission given to the paratroopers of the 101st was to speaerhead the Allied invasion of Hitler occupied Europe - a rendezvous with destiny if ever there was one. Crossing the French coast two hours later, the vast air armada was met by heavy German AA fire and hampered by heavy banks of cloud, scattering the Division over a wide area. Few units landed in their designated drop zones and by dawn on the morning of 6th June, Easy Company comprised just nine rifle men, two officers, a couple of machine guns, and a mortar. The task of these eleven men - to annihilate a German battery targetting the landings on Utah Beach! Undaunted, this tiny group of young paratroopers ferociously assaulted and captured the battery, their action saving the lives of hundreds of their comrades coming ashore on the beach head below. In the gruelling days that followed, the men of Easy Company fought their way through dense hedgerows, across fields and orchards, through farms and villages towards their next objective - the strategic town of Carentan. Heavily defended by German forces, its seizure was vital to the Allied advance. Portrays the men of Easy Company as they fight their way through the bullet-swept streets of Carentan. Facing the enemy in close combat house-to-house street fighting, the paratroopers relentlessly pounded the enemy until the last vestiges of German resistance were overwhelmed and the objective taken. But for the men of Easy Company and the 101st Airborne, this action is just the beginning of their distinguished but savage war. Others will follow: the liberation of the first Dutch city, Eindhoven; the siege of Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge; and ultimately, the capture of Hitlers Eagles Nest at Berchtesgaden.
Item Code : DHM1607BEasy Company - The Taking of Carentan by Chris Collingwood. (B) - This Edition
PRINT Signed limited edition of 25 remarques.

Paper size 30 inches x 25 inches (76cm x 64cm) Suerth, Herb
Wingett, Bill
Soboleski, Frank
Shames, Ed
Maynard, Bill
+ Artist : Chris Collingwood
All prices on our website are displayed in British Pounds Sterling

Other editions of this item : Easy Company - The Taking of Carentan by Chris Collingwood.DHM1607
PRINT Signed limited edition of 500 prints. Paper size 30 inches x 25 inches (76cm x 64cm) Suerth, Herb
Wingett, Bill
Soboleski, Frank
Shames, Ed
Maynard, Bill
+ Artist : Chris Collingwood
50 Off!
Supplied with one or more  free art prints!
Now : 145.00VIEW EDITION...
Signed limited edition of 50 artist proofs. Paper size 30 inches x 25 inches (76cm x 64cm) Suerth, Herb
Wingett, Bill
Soboleski, Frank
Shames, Ed
Maynard, Bill
+ Artist : Chris Collingwood
PRINT Signed limited edition of 10 double remarques.

Paper size 30 inches x 25 inches (76cm x 64cm) Suerth, Herb
Wingett, Bill
Soboleski, Frank
Shames, Ed
Maynard, Bill
+ Artist : Chris Collingwood

Signatures on this item

Colonel Ed Shames
Enlisting in September 1942, Ed Shames was to become one of the most respected officers in the 101st Airborne Division, a stickler for detail he always got the job done, and brought his men home. Originally assigned to I Company in the 3rd Battalion of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment he was then transferred to Headquarters Company. He received a battlefield commission during the taking of Carentan in Normandy, and joined Easy Company in July 1944 as a 2nd Lieutenant prior to Operation Market Garden and the Battle of the Bulge.

Corporal Herb Jr Suerth
18 year old Herb Suerth enlisted as a volunteer for the Reserve Engineer Corps on 11th November 1942, but after a change of heart in 1944 he was assigned to the 101st Airborne Division, beginning parachute school training in August that year. After final combat training in Holland, Herb was trucked into Bastogne in December 1944 during the Battle of the Bulge, also fighting in Foy. On 9th January 1945 Herb was wounded by artillery fire and his legs were severely injured but ultimately saved. He was shipped out of England and back to the US on 8th April 1945.

First Sergeant Frank Soboleski
Joining the Army in 1943, Frank Soboleski parachuted into Holland in September 1944 as part of the 101st Airbornes reserve unit, ready to help if the first two units needed it - they did. Franks unit, Easy Company, was next in combat at Bastogne; surrounded by Germans in the freezing cold for a month. The company then moved on to Haguenau in France, and finally to Berchtesgaden in southern Germany when the war ended. Frank remained in southern Germany and Austria for another six months and was discharged in January 1946.

Private 1st Class Bill Maynard
Born in 1923, Bill Maynard enlisted into the 101st Airborne Division in 1942, completing his training with Easy Company at camp in Toccoa, Georgia. Posted to Europe, Bill completed his combat training prior to D-Day, and jumped with the rest of Easy Company into Normandy on D-Day itself. He was wounded in heavy fighting shortly afterwards, receiving the Purple Heart, but continued to fight on. An experienced marksman with pistol, rifle and machine-gun, he fought with Easy Company throughout Normandy, into Holland, at Bastogne, and into southern Germany at the end of the war.

Private 1st Class Bill Wingett
Bill Wingett originally enlisted on 9th December 1941, two days after Pearl Harbor was attacked, but after a car crash, hospitalisation and subsequent discharge from the forces meant he had to try again on 19th August 1942. Bill was with Easy Company up until 5 days before D-Day where he was transferred to Headquarters Company. He fought in the campaigns of Normandy, Holland and Bastogne receiving a Purple Heart in each. Discharged on 23rd November 1945, Bill returned 10 months later to join the 82nd Airborne for 3 years as a maintenance man at Fort Bragg Airfield.

This Week's Half Price Art

 After coming out of the British Square The 17th Lancers charge by the 58th Regiment. The Battle of Ulundi took place at the Zulu capital of Ulundi on 4th July 1879.  Ulundi became the last battle to be fought during the Zulu war and the British victory finally broke the military power of the Zulu Nation.  The battle began at 6 a.m. when Buller led out an advance guard of mounted troops and South African irregulars.  The British force comprised of five companies of the 80th regiment in square in four ranks, with two Gatling Guns in the centres, two 9-pounders on the left flank and two 7-pounders on the right. The 90th Light Infantry with four companies of the 94th regiment made up the left face with two more 7-pounders.  On the right face were the 1st Battalion of the 13th Light Infantry, four companies of the 58th Regiment, two 7-pounders and two 9-pounders. The rear face was composed of two companies of the 94th Regiment and two companies of the 2nd Battalion of the 21st Regiment.  In the middle of the square were headquarters staff, No. 5 company of the Royal Engineers whhich was led by Lt John Chard who had commanded the troops at Rorkes Drift, the 2nd Native Natal Contingent, fifty wagons and carts with reserve ammunition and hospital wagons. Bullers horsemen protected the front and both flanks of the square. A rearguard of two squadrons of the 17th Lancers and a troop of Natal Native Horse followed.  In total the British force stood at just over 5300 against the Zulu warrior regiments in total over 15000.  The Zulu warriors charged again and again at the square but with the strong British firepower of tifle and gatling gun, they could not get close.  As the Zulu warriors strength weakened, Lord Chelmsford ordered the cavalry to mount, and the 17th Lancers and the 1st Kings Dragoon Guards along with colonial cavalry were ordered to charge the now fleeing Zulus.  The Zulus fled towards the high ground with the cavalry in pursuit.  The Lancers were checked at the Mbilane stream by the fire of a concealed party of Zulus, causing a number casualties before the 17th Lancers overcame the Zulu resistance.  The pursuit continued until not one living Zulu remained on the Mahlabatini plain, with members of the Natal Native Horse, Natal Native Contingent and Woods Irregulars slaughtering the Zulu wounded, done in revenge for the massacre at Isandlwana.

Battle of Ulundi by Brian Palmer.
Half Price! - 70.00
By about 6pm the Zulu attacks had extended all around the front of the post, and fighting raged at hand-to-hand along the mealie-bag wall. Lieutenant Chard himself took up a position on the barricade, firing over the mealie-bags with a Martini-Henry, whilst Lieutenant Bromhead directed any spare men to plug the gaps in the line. The men in the yard and on the front wall were dangerously exposed to the fire of Zulu marksmen posted in the rocky terraces on Shiyane (Oskarsberg) hill behind the post. Several men were hit, including Acting Assistant Commissary Dalton, and Corporal Allen of the 14th. Surgeon Reynolds treated the wounded as best he could despite the fire. Once the veranda at the front of the hospital had been abandoned, the Zulus had mounted a determined attack on the building itself, setting fire to the thatched roof with spears tied with burning grass. The defenders were forced to evacuate the patients room by room, eventually passing them out through a small window into the open yard. Shortly after 6pm Chard decided that the Zulu pressure was too great, and ordered a withdrawal to a barricade of biscuit boxes which had been hastily erected across the yard, from the corner of the store-house to the front mealie-bag wall. In this small compound the garrison would fight for their lives throughout most of the coming night.

The Defense of Rorkes Drift by Alphonse De Neuville. (C)
Half Price! - 48.00
CCP0035. Helping Hand, Rorkes Drift by Chris Collingwood.
Helping Hand, Rorkes Drift by Chris Collingwood.
Half Price! - 37.00
DHM1604GL. Warriors of the First Battalion The Royal Scots (The Royal Regiment) in action in Southern Iraq, 26th February 1991 by David Rowlands.

Warriors of the First Battalion The Royal Scots (The Royal Regiment) in action in Southern Iraq, 26th February 1991 by David Rowlands (GL)
Half Price! - 300.00

 Unterscharfurher Karl-Heinz Turk of the Schwere SS Panzerabteilung 503, in one of the units few remaining Kingtigers, defends the Potsdammer Platz along with elements of the Munchberg Division against the rapidly encroaching Soviet forces.

The Last Battle, Berlin, 30th April 1945 by David Pentland.
Half Price! - 90.00
 Juno Beach, Normandy, 6th June 1944.  Sdkfz 232 armoured cars of 12th SS Reconnaissance Battalion commanded by  Obersturmfuhrer Peter Hansmann observe the Canadian beachhead at Juno Beach.  His small team was tasked with finding out if an invasion was actually underway and it drove some 80km, arriving at the coast near Tracy at 7.30 in the morning to witness the landings in progress.

D-Day Recce by David Pentland. (P)
Half Price! - 700.00
So Tell The Spartans, Stranger passing by that here, Obedient to their laws, we lie.   In 480 BC the Spartans tried to defend the pass at Thermopylae against the Persians led by Xerxes.  The Persian fleet had sailed along the coastline from northern Greece into the Gulf of Malia on the eastern Aegean Sea towards the mountains at Thermopylae. The Greek General and King Leonidas led the Greeks  and tried to defend the pass of Thermopylae.  All the defending Spartans were killed during the Battle of Thermopylae. Their defence and courage provided inspiration to the Greeks, and the following year the Greeks won battles against their old enemy the Persians.

Thermopylae 480BC, Spartan and Thespaian Hoplites. By Chris Collingwood. (GS)
Half Price! - 250.00
 When 250 well armed and trained rebel tribesmen attacked the small SAS outpost at Mirbat few would have given good odds on their survival.  At the height of the battle Corporal Labalaba and Trooper Savesaki, both Fijians and both wounded fought off relentless assaults by the attacking Adoo.  Firing a World War II vintage 25pdr field gun at point blank range Labalaba finally fell to a snipers bullet just as Captain Kealy and Trooper Tobin reached the gunpit to aid its defence.  Within minutes however Tobin was dead, but Kealy and the remaining defenders critical position was saved by the timely arrival of 2 Omani Strikemaster jets, and helicopters carrying 24 men of G Squadron.

Sacrifice at Mirbat, Dhofar, Oman, 19th July 1972 by David Pentland.
Half Price! - 80.00

This Week's Half Price Sport Art

 Valentino Rossi.  Honda RC211V
Master on Two Wheels by Michael Thompson.
Half Price! - 28.00
 The painting portrays the Manchester United midfielder and England Captain David Beckham celebrating after scoring from a trademark free kick.

Seven by Robert Highton.
Half Price! - 70.00
Eddie Irvine raced Formula Ford from 1983 to 1988.  Driving a variety of different chassis, he won two Formula Ford championships by the end of 1987.  In 1988, Eddie drove in the British Formula Three championship and then joined the Jordan Formula 3000 team for 1990.  He won his first race at Hockenheim, finishing third overall in the championship that year.  The following three years saw Eddie driving in the Japanese F3000 series, almost winninh the title in 1993.  He also drove for Toyota at Le Mans holding the lap record for several years.  At the end of 1993 Eddie drove for the Jordan F1 team and gained notoriety by overtaking Ayrton Senna having only just been lapped by him.  In 1996, Eddie took on the unenviable role as number two to Michael Schumacher at Ferrari but in 1999 became the number one driver for Ferrari following a serious accident for Schumacher.

Tribute to Eddie Irvine by Stuart McIntyre.
Half Price! - 23.00
PDB3.  Lenox Lewis II by Peter Deighan.
Lenox Lewis II by Peter Deighan.
Half Price! - 41.00

This Week's Half Price Aviation Art

Based on a design by Henry Farman, the Bristol Boxkite first appeared in 1910 and was put into service with the RFC from its formation in 1912. It was used extensively by RNAS training schools at Eastbourne, Eastchurch and Hendon, but the type was withdrawn from service in 1915 due to obsolescence. Military versions were distinguishable from production aircraft by having extended upper wings to increase lift under load, as depicted here.

Bristol Boxkite by Ivan Berryman. (GL)
Half Price! - 300.00
 Two British Army AH1 Apache attack helicopters escort a Boeing Chinook en route to deploy British troops in southern Afghanistan.

Outbound by Ivan Berryman. (GS)
Half Price! - 250.00
 The Avro Lancaster B MkIII ED932(G), AJ-G, of Wing Commander Guy Gibson was the first aircraft to make an attempt at breaching the Möhne Dam on the night of 16/17th of May 1943 as Operation Chastise got underway.  Having already made one 'sighting' run over the target, Gibson turned and began his second run, the flak and 20mm fire from the shore and from the towers of the dam now throwing up a hail of fire. Undeterred, the Upkeep mine was released, skipping across the water as planned, but striking the dam wall off centre with no visible effect. Gibson made several passes over the Möhne, each time escorting the attacking aircraft in an attempt to draw the enemy fire.  With the Möhne finally breached, he led the remaining aircraft on to the Eder dam with similar success before returning safely to Manston.

First Strike by Ivan Berryman. (GS)
Half Price! - 200.00
 P51D of Colonel Glenn Duncan C.O. of the 353rd Fighter Group, along with Betty-E flown by Lt. Colonel Wayne Blickenstaff, taking off on one of their last missions of the war, April 1945.

Dove of Peace by David Pentland. (Y)
Half Price! - 40.00


This website is owned by Cranston Fine Arts.  Torwood House, Torwoodhill Road, Rhu, Helensburgh, Scotland, G848LE

Contact: Tel: (+44) (0) 1436 820269.  Fax: (+44) (0) 1436 820473. Email:

Subscribe to our newsletterReturn to Front Page

Return to Home Page